Saturday, September 8, 2012

Bathrooms.... and balding

Hi guys... well i have started my first bathroom. Cannot say it has been much fun. lots of questions and stress, steep learning curve. I hope that my plumber and building friends haven't got sick of me calling. Well the first thing was glueing the ceramic tile underlay. the instructions said to do so but none of the builders or tilers i talked to have ever done it. I decided not to do it. It i have to ever rip it up i want it not to take the subfloor with it. I hope it doesn't nip me in the bum later.

Secondly was laying embedding the shower tray. It said it was a no notching (meaning i don't have to cut it into the studs) however the base was bent and i am using 6mm villa board so I did eventually have to notch out the studs. After laying the base on a bed of mortar, i pulled it up to check it.. seemed terrific.. i piled the mortar up again and lay it a second time.... well i probably should have left it as it hasn't seemed to have bedded as nicely. Firstly it squeaked!...  drove me nuts.... debated weather to pull it up. Ended up putting a wedge behind the base where it was squeaking and a bit of polyurethane. I hope it doesn't crack if there is movement in the walls and floor. Then now the squeaking was solved when you stand near the back of the base you hear a slight crunching sound of the mortar. I have wondered if i should rip it up and buy another base. My usual saying is 'when in doubt rip it out' however this time i have decided to leave it... well have decided to shut my eyes and hope it is ok. I really want to get this bathroom done by the end of next week. But the plaster is not cooperating and taking ages to dry. Mother nature isnt helping either. All sunny for the beginning of the week then as soon as i have done the plaster it have turned cold and rainy again...

oh and i hurt my back today ripping up the old floor in the craft room...

ps... man what a whingy blog!!!! besides all the ruts in this road it is coming together well and i am really excited to see it finished. I am enjoying learning all these new things, however i am mindful of the expensive consequences if i don't get the upstairs bathroom right.

pps..  Heather and i have decided on carpet for upstairs and it will be laid in a week and a half, so by the end of these holidays i am planning to have upstairs finished!!! all going well : )






No comments: