Saturday, September 8, 2012


One thing that has gone really well is my balustrades. I think they look great. i have only done one side as a trial. I used rebar (the stuff they put in cement to strengthen it) as the balusters. I coated them with three coats of Penetrol then put on a spray matt finish so they look like raw iron. They are 12mm in diameter and add a bit of weight to the structure but have cost a fraction of the cost of wrought iron balusters. I also made the newels out of the old oak stud work i pulled out of the apple shed. they are rustic looking and have lots of character. The hand rails were reclaimed from the carport I pulled down. The photos don't quite to them justice but you can decide. This section of balustrade probably has cost me only $20.

No comments: