Well as always the holidays go by very quickly. The first few photos are of the old weather boards i reclaimed from when i redid the east facing wall. It was a lot of work as they were first covered in red oxide then oiled who knows how many times. I washed, scraped, planed, sanded, sanded, sanded, sanded and sanded, then had to clean all my tools! but i think the end product is pretty amazing. I love how the old sump oil stained the wood and i still kept a hint of the rough saw marks. I didn't want to keep all of the saw marks as it made the room look too stripy. I love reusing the old timber, saved me a lot of money. These holidays and I think the second time in all my life i maxed the credit card out! So i will be glad to start school again next week and watch my bank balance recover... until the next holidays.
This is a dummy run of my apple crate book shelf.....
I decided to paint my second storey doors..... when i did down stairs and was faced with painting 12 it was too daunting.... for some funny reason i made the bathroom door 720mm wide... when a normal door is 820mm wide.... the room is 2.1m by 2.5... so i didn't really need to do it but i am sure i thought i had a good reason at the time.... oh well...
Plasterer is now finished! So now it is time to paint. I am not overjoyed with some of the joins but with all the set joints at funny angles to each other it is pretty hard to do. I purchased some thing called StrainghtFlex which did a terrific job on the joins and i would recommend it to anyone wanting not to use cornices but he ran out and used paper tape instead which didn't give such a good finish.... oh well c'est la vie. Just don't look to hard when you visit : )
So the doors are painted, architraves and skirtings are ready... all i have to do is paint and put it all together!
Hello everyone, I would like to introduce to you Bill and Bob. They are terrific workers, they do what they are told and are dirt cheap. These two handy T frames made out of stud pine helped me put up my raked ceiling up in the second storey with no one else helping. I wish i could take credit for the idea but it was father in law. Great idea Ian!
The hardest part of the arch was plastering the internal arch. I managed to break about 5 of these long thin pieces as I tried to squeeze them into place. The first few attempts I had even wet them over night using a spray bottle. Eventually James, my plaster, came over to look at the job and said that he usually placed the internal strip over a round object and leave it overnight if it was a tight arch. So that is what I did. I used the plywood cut out of the arch to get the shape and placed the plaster over the top. I then sprayed it with water a few times and left it over night.
The next morning it was pretty good however it hadnt gone all the way so i wet it some more and leaned some weight on the sides and vuola!
It fit perfect and is held in with only stud adhesive. Today I purchase some edging made out of plastic for the arch. The edging reminds me of those toy snakes, it never stays still! I love how my bedroom is coming together! Plasterer starts tomorrow!!!!