Sunday, January 13, 2013

Suped up scaffolding...

I was a little unhappy with my scafffolding as the platform only reached 3m and had no railing at that height and I needed to work up to 6m off the ground, well this is what I did.....

video

How it works..... 

video

Friends and Ties

Hello everyone! I had a terrific week. One of my best mates flew in from Melbourne just to help me build for 3 days, what a champion! Well with a lot of laughter and pastry we managed to get a lot done.... 



Ryan!


Needed to string line the collar ties so they look straight... if anyone bothers to look that is.. 

 Me installing the new collar ties


Strapping the eave ties


A tense moment, Ryan removing the first collar tie... a bit of an anti climax, nothing happened


The final product. 6 ties removed and 3 raised and put on every second rafter. 


Opens up the view for when the future window is put in... 


Is that me vacuuming the roof! Hated that job.... After the shingles were removed it left the roof covered in dust, and rats and bat nests so on heathers request we cleaned all the insulation up and vacuumed.


You probably cannot see it but Ryan and I also raised the house and put some aluminium damp course under the bottom sill all ready for tie downs! Was a lot harder than I thought it would be. 

Plastering the hallway and balcony flooring

This one was fun... we had to jack the plasterboards 3.3m off the ground and shimmy them 11m over the eaves ties to plaster the top part of the hallway. We covered the eave ties with old cloth to protect the plasterboard. Big thanks to Ian and Rory for their help and Stan for his sheet lifter. 





This one was a right old sticky mess. The boards went down well and easy however my legs are very very sore from walking up the stairs a thousand times! Another big thanks to Stan for his secret nailing gun. Once sanded and painted it came up a treat. One complaint however, i used plantation timber flooring from Mitre 10, I would next time not use this product as it is soft and will easily get damaged. Now with the balustrade up it looks safe and very nice.